Tuesday 23 September 2014

Bob Graham Training Log

A guy, who I assume is called Jonathan O'Keeffe, has utilised the Strava API to allow Strava users to produce details reports of their activities over the past year. This is the website address http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/annualSummary.php.

I used the site to export my activities to a comma-separated file (csv) that I was then able to import into Excel (or in my case Libre Office Calc (a free version of Microsoft office)). The data was imported in a raw format, basically one record for each activity. I wanted to group the data by week so that I would have an idea of the height (mtrs) and distance (km) I am achieving each week. This took a bit of Googling to extract the week number form each activity and a lot more Googling to find out the date of the first Monday in each week. It was then necessary to group the distance and heigh gain by week, which was achieved using the Spreadsheet "Pivot Table" functionality. From the Pivot Table it was then a simple task to create a couple of charts of the weekly height and distance completed. The results can be seen in the two images below.

I mentioned in another post that in September 2013 I started to develop an abdominal muscle injury. I struggled on with that until I got January's Trigger out of the way. That is why there is a peak right at the beginning of the year. Once the race was done I really cut back the running to concentrate on gym work to strengthen my core. This can be seen in the massive drop in activities in the spring. Since the late spring I have been slowly building up my activities and it is going pretty well at the moment.

Now that that I have the spread sheet functions in place it is a fairly straight-forward job to do more exports over the coming months and update these charts.


No comments:

Post a Comment