Friday 6 July 2012

Kinder Trog June 2012


 Great day out. Started with meeting IainR from the forum and Sara to show him the last Km of the Trog route so a nice little run and chat. Lots of banter with the large Pennine turnout and comments about me not usually being out on Sundays (I am only too aware of that) This time I did not pull my calf coming off Latern Pike so a great run over the early stages. Heading to Chunel Junction there were two runner just behind me and they never stopped chatting to each other. Do not know what Language it was, not Welsh something Eastern European I reckon, I hope they enjoyed a British Fell Race - they seem to be enjoying it at that early stage anyway! Across the road at Chunel Junction where I got a great pace maker along the flags where I slowly drew in and passed a fellow Pennine Runner Mike.

Then up onto Kinder. I have to admit I am not good on Kinder, I struggle with all of the rocks, I am just not light enough on my feet to skip over them and I got retaken again my Mike. Just before Kinder downfall Rob Taylor went past me like steam train, amazing speed for a pensioner :)(infact for anybody). Weird at Kinder Low end, I was completely alone not a soul to be seen anywhere. I knew the way so just kept going in the correct direction to pick up the flaggs. Passed a comment to the poor sod at the junction of the two flagged paths about pulling the bum job. His understatement of a reply “It is not great”
Misty Conditions on the plateau for the Kinder Trog.

Down to (this year going the correct side of the hill) Edale cross to meet a large group of mountain rescuers stood there. I was just crossing the track when there was a chorus of Oooooooohhhhhhhhh. I assume somebody behind me had a crash!

Down the trod to the Sett and then that climb! I had a look over my shoulder to see a long possession behind me so I was not as alone as I felt on Kinder. Half way up the climb from the Sett that mountain rescue man was just a bit too enthusiastic. Lots of comments about me being chased by two good looking women. Being faithfull I managed to run away from them! Then that bog trot to South Head. Those flag stones from Edale Cross are getting ominously close. I suppose they will go to South Head eventually so we will loose out on dragging our mudclaws out of the mud. Across the road at  Peep-O-Day and my game of Leap Frog continued as I cought Mike again again on the start of the climb up to Big Stone, he commented at the end that he was developing a problem with his hip.

I had set a target of 2:40 and at big stone I was just over 2:25 so I had my work cut out. Major sprint down from big stone, along the track through the gate and straight down the hill. I passed a few people to get to the finish in 2:39:15 to give me 77th out of 169 finishers. Top half so happy with that!

I done the race two years ago in 2:55 so very happy with the 15 minutes knocked off my time. My family were meant to be on the course to cheer us on but a misunderstanding with time meant they saw me go through the bus station as they got out of the car!!

I like the Kinder Trog, so overall a great day out!
Say "Hi" to the camera at Edale Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment